Saturday 22 November 2014

Staying Motivated

Hello Everyone, 

Something that everyone finds difficult is staying motivated. Whether it is writing an essay, or a new exercise plan, your motivation is going to suffer at some point. They say it takes thirty days to create a habit, but getting through those thirty days are tough. So sometimes you need to employ some motivation techniques to get you through. 

Think about your long term goals. If you know your ultimate goals, then it is much easier to stay motivated. Put up reminders around your house about what it is you're aiming for to keep it in your mind constantly. Make sure this goal is a tangible thing that you are able to definitively say what you have achieved, or measurable. Otherwise it is very easy to get unmotivated and not able to get through the thirty days. 

Make a list of things you have to do to each day. The act of ticking off a task that you have finished on your list is one of the best feelings in the world. It is the feeling of accomplishment that no matter how small, you have done something productive today. You can make multiple lists, a daily one, weekly one, annual one, even a life one. Whatever works for you. I personally make daily lists as I tend to be a little forgetful about all the small tasks I have to do in a day, especially with lots of different deadlines coming up. It helps you prioritise what really needs to be done. 

One of the most important things is to love what you are doing, whether it be part of your job or an exciting new hobby, or even an old one. If you do not love it or enjoy it, you will lose motivation for it so quickly and easily. Also, don't do it to please others. If you do not want to do it, don't (this should be taken in perspective, if its doctor's orders or the law, please follow these to the letter). 

Don't be afraid to mix it up a little. If you find yourself in a bit of a rut, you love what you're doing, but are unexcited by the content of it, then change it around. Do something a little different, go to a class, or change your routine. For instance, when I've got a touch or writer's block with my posts, I will move from my laptop to a pad and pen. The change gets my creative juices flowing, and I think in a different way. 

As well as achieving your goal being a reward, why not give yourself short-term rewards? When you reach a certain point on your list, or reach a milestone in achieving your goal, have little reward for yourself. It could be a big thing, or a small thing. Whenever I finish a blog post or a homework assignment, or get so much studying done, I will reward myself with a cup of tea, and twenty minutes of no thinking time. It refreshes me for my next task, and gives me the motivation to finish one. When I reach a big goal, I will normally reward myself with a little shopping splurge, like a new dress, or top or skirt or whatever. But just one thing, otherwise it would get pretty expensive.

What keeps you motivated? What are your goals that you want to stay motivated for? Try some of these tips, or feel free to suggest others in the comments below, or by tweeting me @lifeinthedeen


No comments:

Post a Comment