Thursday 24 April 2014

A-Z Challenge: U

Hello Everyone,


The letter is U, and my book is Ulysses.

I have a love hate relationship with James Joyce. I was made to read and study the short story Clay, and I really hated the writing style, and the characters, and the story… but I loved studying it for some weird reason. I think I really like studying something that I have strong feelings on. I can’t write on something I have no opinion on, because it is just much easier to find things to write about on it.

I remember both my mum and my English teacher telling me about studying Ulysses. They both said that it was one of the worst things they had to do while at university. Both of them told me to never read it because it was so tough and dull.


Essentially Ulysses documents the day in the life of a man from Dublin on the date 16 June 1904. It is split into 18 episodes. There’s not much else I can say about this plot (if you think I’ve missed anything, comment below, remember that I have not read this book).

I don’t know if I would want to read this book as I haven’t met anyone who has read and enjoyed it. But I do feel it is one that I SHOULD read, rather than want to. No matter if I like it or not, it will be an experience.


What other books do you think people should read at least once in their lifetime? Comment below.

Gracexxx

No comments:

Post a Comment