Tuesday 8 April 2014

A-Z Challenge: G

Hello Everyone,


Today’s letter is G, and so my book today is Girl, Missing. This was one of my favourite books as a teenager (and yes, all you smart alecs, I am still a teenager, I mean my younger teens). It had it all, adventure, identity, discovering yourself, violence, and a little romance thrown on top, what’s not to love? It tells the story of a young girl called Lauren, and her best friend Jam. Lauren was adopted, and has never met her birth parents. A school assignment titled ‘Who am I?’ gets Lauren questioning her identity, and who she is. She does a search on the internet and comes across an old picture of a little girl who went missing just a few months before Lauren was adopted, and shares an uncanny likeness with her. So Lauren and Jam set out across the Atlantic to the USA to try and find her birth parents, where they encounter violence, kidnap, love and loss. What will happen when Lauren finally meets the parents who lost her so many years ago, and will they accept her? More importantly, will Lauren accept them?
via:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4c/GirlMissing-SophieMcKenzie.jpg


Now, quite clearly, this is not a book that will change the world (this is not necessarily a bad thing), but it is a good book for a teenager who is struggling to fit in, and be who they want to be too. Now, I know all teenagers have these feelings, but this book helped me realise that identity isn’t based on who your friends and your family believe you are, but who you believe you can be. You just have to try, and if your friends can’t accept this, then perhaps they weren’t really your friends after all.
via:http://www.altfonts.com/img/T/E/Teenage-angst.png


After that slightly depressing paragraph, comment below letting me know what the best book you read when you were a teenager was.


Gracexxx

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I can't even remember my favourite books a a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, it's not really depressing to find out that if your friends won't accept you for who you are, then you need new friends at your age. It is when you're an adult and have to learn that lesson over and over because you've low self-esteem. Been there, done that and I am militantly my own person and probably not very pleasant, but that's me. I had to learn it hard and the quicker you learn it the better off you'll be.

    My favorite book when I was a kid was "To Kill a Mockingbird" because it dealt with issues bigger than myself; it dealt with right and wrong whatever the time, era and situation. It still applied today, although the book's ethics apply to the 30s when it was legal to lynch black men for looking at white women in the United States. The fact that we're still fighting for women's equality, same-sex marriage, and against any discrimination in this country in 2014, doesn't say much for the U. S. or the world as a whole. I thought back in 1970 that we would be past all of this; I was dead wrong. I came over from #teamDamyanti as I am one of her minions. I look forward to the rest of this A to Z challenge. Mary, aka Viola Fury. Twitter @ViolaFury http://www.homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's depressing to learn it at any age to be honest, as a tween I didn't have the best self-confidence, and being stuck with the same people everyday in school who I knew thought me weird was hard. I am a better person for it now. All I really meant by that comment was to bring the mood back up. And although I don't mention it in my post, the book did deal with bigger issues than myself like child trafficking. I just wanted to highlight what the book meant to me. I did read To Kill A Mockingbird around the same time as this, and I really enjoyed it too. I completely agree with you that the fact that we are still fighting against discrimination in this day and age is shocking. Enjoy the rest of the A to Z challenge.

      Gracexxx

      Delete
  3. Grace, perhaps I should mention too, you'll get more comments if your Capcha is turned off and your moderation is on. Some people cannot read Capcha. I am legally blind and it's hard for me; some folks just won't deal with it. All the best, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your advice, I have changed my settings to reflect this, I didn't even know Capcha was turned on.

      Gracexxx

      Delete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog "A Bench with a View" and your comment. This book you reviewed sounds interesting. I'm way past teen years, but it does sound like a book that I might like ot read. My favorite book when I was in 8th grade was "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". I think I read that over 100 times.

    have fun with the rest of the challenge!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's a good book for all ages, and it is the first part of a trilogy about the same family. That books sounds like a good read. Have fun with the rest of the challenge too.

      Gracexxx

      Delete