Friday 7 March 2014

My Inspirational Women

Hello Everyone,


As it is International Women's Day today, I thought I would write a post about the women that have inspired me the most throughout my life so far.

1.   Audrey Hepburn

Breakfast at Tiffany's
via: http://lolosianipar.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/breakfast_at_tiffanys1.jpg
As well as being a star of Hollywood, she is a fashion icon. She practically invented the ‘little black dress’, and is universally accepted as one of the most beautiful people in the world. She is best known in the roles of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, and Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady, as well as countless others. After retiring from acting, she began a career as a humanitarian, when she was appointed Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF. She is truly an inspiration to us all.

2.   JK Rowling
Wizard Success
via: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01002/JK-Rowling_1002500c.jpg

The author of my favourite book series, Joanne Kathleen Rowling would always have had my respect. However, the inspiration does not come from the creation of the characters Harry, Ron and Hermione, or even of Hogwarts itself, it is the situation that she found herself after she married her ex-husband. It has been suggested that she suffered domestic abuse from her husband, and after leaving him and moving to Edinburgh, she was jobless, with a five month old daughter depending on her. She was diagnosed with depression, and was living on benefits before, in 1995, the first Harry Potter book was published. The ability to pick yourself up when you hit rock bottom is genuinely exceptional, and I only hope that if I ever find myself in a similar situation (hopefully I never will), I would be able to cope half as well.

3.   My Mum
Me and my Mum on my 17th Birthday


I know it’s a cliché to find your mum inspiring, but it’s a cliché that is actually true. My mum is such a talented lady, she is a fantastic artist, a brilliant cook and one of the most determined people I’ve met. She has done so much with her life: she has a career assisting deaf people with additional disabilities. She runs our household with surprising efficiency, making sure that everyone gets where they need to go, often putting her own needs and hobbies behind others. She ferries my little sister to and from her swimming training (my dad does this too may I add). At the moment she is also pursuing a post-graduate degree in Autism Studies, as well as everything else. What my mum does may not change the world, or win gold medals, but without people like her, those people wouldn't get off the ground.

4.   My friend Alison
Flat Christmas Dinner 2013
via:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200499627767922&set=t.1674426001&type=3&theater

I only met Alison when I started university in September, but she definitely is the strongest person I know. She lost her mum at a young age, and had to help look after her younger sister at the same time as keeping up with her school work. Now, she is studying to be a primary teacher and has recently been diagnosed with depression. She knows it will be an uphill struggle, but she doesn’t let that deter her, and will not give up without a fight. If that isn't inspirational, I don’t know what is.

And finally…

5.   My little sister, Lillian
Us posers at my 18th
via: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=688923051151859&set=t.100001025125514&type=3&theater


Now, technically at age 13, she isn't a women yet. Nonetheless, she is inspirational to me. She has so much going on: swimming training, school work, watching Hollyoaks (kidding, after swimming and school she doesn't have much extra time other than to eat and sleep). She is inspiring in the fact that she will stand up for herself, no matter what (even though it is very frustrating at the time), though she will admit when she’s wrong. She’s so loyal, and will back you up about anything, although she is brave enough to tell you when you’re talking rubbish. She is so caring, preferring to give than receive. One of my favourite memories is during a Christmas when she kept using her turn to open one hunting for her present to me, getting shouted at in the process. She is always herself, she doesn’t put on any act. She also looks absolutely fabulous in those skimpy swimming costumes she has to wear; I would never dare to try to pull one off.

Well everyone, I hope you've enjoyed my list of inspirational women, and hope you've got someone who inspires you. If you do, comment below saying who, and why they’re inspirational.

Gracexxx

No comments:

Post a Comment