Tuesday 25 March 2014

Moffat: Madman or Genius Part 2

Hello everyone,


Since I felt that I rushed my last Moffat post, I thought I would correct this, and write a second, this time concentrating on what I like the most about Moffat.

He is a good writer. He has some amazing ideas and most of my favourite doctor who episodes were written by him. I think I said this in my last post, but some of his single episodes in Doctor Who that precede his becoming lead writer on the show are my favourite episodes. They are not dumbed down because they were made for children (I think I said in an earlier post that I hated things that were dumbed down just because I was a child. Click to read it here) It continues the idea that it is a family show, meant to be watched by all ages, not just children. 

He also created Sherlock, and I don’t know anyone who has watched this and disliked it. Both Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are play their characters to perfection. However, if you are like me, and feel that no matter how good actors are, it is the writers that give them the vision, and then they act it out. The episodes are filled with plot movement, there is very little filling time with unnecessary conversations and dialogue. Everything is important, just perhaps not at that exact moment in time. It is clever, witty, complicated (in a good way), and allows you to form your own theories rather than just presenting the one 'right' one.  
via: http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sherlock-benedict-martin.jpg

Another thing I love about Moffat’s writing is Matt Smith’s portrayal of the doctor. I love Matt, and I do feel that Moffat was the right writer for his doctor. His storylines allowed him to show off his acting skills in the best light, and allowed him to be everything that the Doctor is and was. He had light and shadow in the character, and was a ‘madman in a blue box’, while being that ancient being that is so tortured by his past and what he has done and lost that all he can do is keep running.

The fiftieth Doctor Who episode was described by Moffat as ‘a love letter to fans’, and I think it achieved this goal. The plot, as in all of these sorts of episodes was merely a side to the full meal of the in jokes, ‘feels’ and sheer joy at watching what had never been done before, a reunion of past and present doctors. Although not every doctor had a brand new part, and most of them were shown through archive footage, it was a shout to the past. The sheer joy on Matt Smith’s face as he chatted to Colin Baker was apparent to everyone watching, and it allowed both young and old fans to see how the show has changed and evolved into something completely new and wonderful, but that it will never forget its past.
via: http://cdn.filmschoolrejects.com/images/Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary.jpg

I hope this has reassured people that, although I have some problems with Moffat’s writing, I do have things that I like about it too. The ability to believe that someone has no flaws is good, but to accept them, and lok past them is better. In fact, I believe that in order to truly enjoy something, it shouldn’t be perfect, it should be unique. Perfect is boring, being unique, with both your flaws and your positives, is much more interesting.
via: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8064/8267830776_589e26eae4.jpg


Gracexxx

No comments:

Post a Comment