Tuesday 11 February 2014

How To Write Your First Blog Post

Hey Everyone, 


Now, as this is my first blog, I was rather apprehensive about writing my first official post. "What should I write about?" and "What will people think of it?" were just some of the questions running through my head. So, I did what any student does when they need answers: I Googled it. 

Now, as I found, I clearly wasn't the first to do so, as when I was typing "how to write your first blog post" into the search bar, that was one of the suggestions Google gave me, as well as "how to write your first CV" and "how to write your first novel". There were over 1,110,000,000 results. (I've included links to the blogs I found most useful at the end.) I wasn't alone in this being a big deal. I wasn't alone in having no idea where to start. And I’m sure as hell not alone in writing about How to write your first blog post.

I should say at this point that I am referring to personal blogs and not product blogs, although some of the ideas are transferrable. Product blogs are blogs which represent a product, or brand. Their blog will promote the products and answer questions that customers had. This is their niche, what their blog will revolve around. Personal blogs are different because you have to find your own niche as you go, unless you have a clear idea on what you’re going to write about in the first place. Unfortunately, I don’t, I just like to write. So there will be reviews, rants and ‘rticles. (I know, I know, really bad pun.)

After thorough searching through my results (looking at every result on the first two pages); this is what I discovered: Just Do It. Now I know that sounds like a really bad Nike ad, but it’s true. So many people when writing their first blog post spend ages on choosing a subject, not enough time actually writing so that when they finally do post something, it’s lacklustre and uninspiring. Most bloggers say that they look back on their first post and are embarrassed. That’s fine, as long as it got them going. One post will lead to another and before you know it, you've got a blog.

One general tip for writing posts is to check grammar, punctuation and spelling. Blogs are written in informal English, but that’s no reason for sloppiness. Incorrect grammar and punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence, so be careful. And awful spelling doesn't give a good impression to your readers.

There are plenty of other tips on how to keep your blog going. Plan how many times you are going to post, because consistency and frequency are important. Don’t post multiple times every day for a week, then nothing for a month. Write multiple posts on word documents at one time, and then stagger posting them online over a month or so. Listen to comments and emails, but not religiously. If they’re changing what you are about, then ignore them. But some may have useful insights, so don’t discard them.


The point is, if you want to write a blog: Just Do It. Don’t wait around for some singular spark of inspiration to hit you and you become the most read blog around. That’s not going to happen. The only way to get traffic and therefore a noteworthy blog is to just start writing. 

Gracexxx

No comments:

Post a Comment